2008: Assessment and Feedback
Professor Brenda Smith
Brenda is a Senior Associate at the Higher Education Academy Centre and was responsible for initiating the Change Academy project. Prior to this she was Head of the Learning and Teaching Support Network Generic Centre. Brenda has been actively involved in a number of UK initiatives such as the Scottish Quality Enhancement agenda, the Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) initiative and undertook the analysis of the Welsh institutional Learning and Teaching Strategies.
She takes a lead role for the Academy’s work on assessment and is actively involved in supporting a number of institutions across the UK with enhancing assessment and feedback. She has run conferences, given keynote presentations and 24 hour events for HEIs that have included both staff and students. Brenda believes that students can act as key change agents in helping staff to reflect on and enhance their practice.
She is a member of the international committee for the journal Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, the USA based Journal on Excellence in College Teaching and a past Executive member of the Professional and Organisational Development Association (POD) in America. Brenda has acted as a consultant and facilitated seminars and workshops in many different countries including Sweden, South Africa, Singapore, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Azerbaijan, America, Lithuania, Colombia, the West Indies, Ethiopia and Malaysia. Brenda has written widely on learning, teaching and assessment. (Satisfied - but students want more ) apologies but they embeded video clips in this presentation will not work
Dr Chris Rust
Chris is Head of the Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development, Deputy Director of the Human Resource Directorate at Oxford Brookes University, and a Deputy Director for two Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning - ASKe (Assessment Standards Knowledge Exchange) and the Reinvention Centre for undergraduate research (led by Warwick University). He is a Fellow of SEDA (Staff and Educational Development Association) and a Senior Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy, for whom he was also an accreditor. (Student assessment lightening the load while increasing the learning ) Feedback Bibliographies, Assessment Bibliographies.
Allan is a Senior Adviser at the Higher Education Academy.
The following Exeter staff will be speaking or running workshops:
- Steve Smith, Vice Chancellor
- Janice Kay, Deputy Vice Chancellor (The University's Perspectives )
- Sue Burkill, Head of Education Enhancement (What is the answer to Question 9?)
- Helen Hanson, School of English, Languages and Literatures
- Jasper Knight, School of Geography, Archaeology and Earth Resources (Moving forward with essay feedback )
- Karen Mattick, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry (Student perceptions of assessment at PMS )
- Matt Newcombe, Head of e-Learning
- James Oldham, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Chris Ricketts, Plymouth University and PCMD (E-assessment a risk-based approach to success )
- Nadine Schaefer, School of Education and Lifelong Learning
- Richard Winsley, Sport and Health Sciences
- Chris Rust, Head of the Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development (Improving the effectiveness of feedback through increased student engagement )
Brenda Smith (keynote speaker): 'I thoroughly enjoyed the day and thought the preparation was excellent - so well done to you and the team. I hope you will invite me down to Exeter again'.
Janice Kay: 'I thought the Conference was splendid ... the presentations and workshops were interesting and in many cases cutting edge ... From my discussions with people, I think everyone got a lot out of it'.