- Contact us
- IT service status
- Open access IT facilities
- Your IT account
- Files and storage
- Network and Wi-Fi
- Laptop clinics
- Systems, processes and training
- Telephony (staff)
- IT equipment and software (staff)
- E-learning and ELE (staff)
- AV support for learning spaces
- Strategic IT projects
- Information Security
- IT regulations and policy
- About Exeter IT
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection will allow you to access the University network from home or from any other location with an internet connection.
Accessing the University network from other locations with VPN
If you are a registered user of the University IT facilities, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection will allow you to access the University network from home or from any other location with an internet connection. This will not work from within the University of Exeter network.
A VPN connection can be used to:
- Access web pages and other data that can only be seen from a University of Exeter network address.
- Set up a remote connection to a machine on the University campus.
- Make information sent between your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the University network more secure.
To use VPN from home or elsewhere, you need:
- An existing connection to the Internet (broadband, LAN or dial-up).
- For Windows, OS X and Linux systems you must be able to log on to your computer using an account that has administrative access. For most home computer systems the normal account you use to log on to the computer will have the necessary access.
- A suitable VPN client. The table below gives links to Junos VPN software and instructions for many desktop and laptop operating systems.
- Your University of Exeter username and password.
Accessing the VPN Service
The table below provides links to download the Junos Pulse client and instructions for setting it up on your machine:
|Operating System||Junos Pulse Client Software||How to Connect to the VPN|
|Windows XP / 7 32 bit||Windows XP / 7 32-bit||Click here for instructions|
|Windows XP / 7 64-bit||Windows 64bit client||Click here for instructions|
|Windows 8 / 8.1 32-bit||Windows 8 / 8.1 32-bit||Click here for instructions|
|Windows 8 / 8.1 64-bit||Windows 64bit client||Click here for instructions|
|Microsoft Surface Pro||Microsoft Surface Client||Click here for instructions|
|Mac OS X||Mac OS X||Click here for instructions|
|iOS (iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iOS v 6.1.3 onwards)||iOS (iPhone, iPad)||Click here for instructions|
|Android (Samsung Galaxy, HTC One)||Android (Samsung Galaxy, HTC One)||Click here for instructions|
|Linux||Linux client||Click here for instructions *|
|Linux 64 bit||Click here for instructions|
*Instructions are from a 3rd Party Site.
Penryn Campus VPN Users :
To access the Penryn VPN service, please use the link.
Please note that once you are logged in, when accessing File and then My Docs, you will be asked to re-enter your username and password. If you are a student then you need to prefix your username with student\
When you connect to the University network via VPN, you are subject to the same regulations and conditions of use as when using the network on campus.