The University of Exeter traces its origins to schools and colleges established in the middle of the nineteenth century. For instance, the Great Exhibition of 1851 prompted the establishment of an Exeter School of Art (1855) and School of Science (1863), which in 1868 were housed in the Royal Albert Memorial Museum. In 1893 these became the Exeter Technical and University Extension College, with the support of the University of Cambridge. In 1900 its official title was changed to the Royal Albert Memorial College, which in trun became the University College of the South West in 1922. Finally, in 1955, the College received its Charter as the University of Exeter, and the University gradually transferred from its city centre site to the Streatham estate over a period of fifty years.
St Luke's College Exeter (formerly the Exeter Diocesan Training College, founded 1840), merged with the University in 1978, and in 1993 Camborne School of Mines (formerly Camborne Mining School, founded 1888) also merged with the University. More recently, the University founded the Penninsula Medical School in partnership with the University of Plymouth and the NHS, and a new Cornish campus has been established at Tremough to facilitate the activities of the new University of Exeter in Cornwall.
The University of Exeter Collection, created by the University Library, contains print publications that chart the history of the University from the late nineteenth century to the present day.
Over 22 shelves of various titles and periodical runs.
Created and maintained by the University Library.
Scope and Content
The collection charts the history of the University of Exeter, through official publications, like the University Calendar, and more ephemeral student publications, like rag magazines and the student newspapers. Amongst the earliest items in the collection is the first volume of The Students' Magazine, The Social Organ of the Exeter Technical and University Extension College (September 1888), which was reborn in 1906 as The Students' Magazine of the Royal Albert Memorial College. The collection also holds long runs of the student newspaper, The South Westerner, which is an excellent source of social and educational history in Exeter from 1938 to 1979.
From the nineteenth to the twenty-first centuries.
The collection does not hold a full set of all past and present University publications. There are missing items in the newspaper and periodical runs and, in particular, the collection contains only a few sample issues of University prospectuses.
System of Arrangement
Arranged by title in date order.
The collection is actively open, with regular new additions as key University publications emerge. The collection is also open to donations of historic print publications to help fill gaps in the collection.
Usual EUL Special Collections arrangements apply. See also related publications below.
Usual EUL Special Collections arrangements apply.
Some items in this collection are fragile and require careful handling. Restrictions on photocopying may apply.
See B.W. Clapp's The University of Exeter: A History (1982), copies of which are available in the Library's loan collections and in the Special Collections Reading Room. There are also a few small archival collections relating to the history of the University held in Special Collections and there is a photographic archive of the University managed within the Fine Arts Collection. The main sequence of the historic archive records of the University are held on deposit at the Devon Record Office. Enquiries should be referred to Special Collections in the first instance.
University of Exeter -- History
Education -- Great Britain -- History