- IT Help Desk
- IT service status
- IT account
- IT equipment and software
- Files and storage
- The University network
- E-learning and Exeter Learning Environment
- AV, video conferencing and learning spaces
- Systems, processes and training
- Telephone services
- IT training
- Open access IT facilities
- IT regulations and policy
- Viruses and Malware
- See how we are performing against SLA
Secure Network Filespace (U: Drive)
All University of Exeter students have an allocation of secure filespace on a central server, that can be used for storing work for access from any computer connected to the University network. This is known as the U: Drive because that is how it is identified on the open-access PC cluster rooms.
The advantages of using your U: Drive to store your files are:
- You can access your files from any Internet-connected computer.
- You don’t have to remember which copy of your file is the latest one, if you work on several computers.
- You don’t need to carry your files around on CDs, memory sticks or floppy disks, which can get damaged or lost.
- The files on the U: Drive are regularly backed up and can be retrieved if you accidentally delete a file or it gets corrupted.
- If you browse the Internet from an open-access cluster PC, your ‘favourites’ or ‘bookmarks’ are saved to your U: Drive and can be used from any cluster PC.
How to access your U: drive
The best way of getting to your U: Drive is via the MyExeter Portal – log in to the portal and you’ll see your files under the My Files tab. Full instructions can be obtained by clicking the Help link at the top right of that portal page.
There are also instructions on how to access your files:
Not all U: Drive are the same.
Staff and Research Postgraduate U: Drive (Active Directory) are restricted to an absolute maximum of 20 gigabytes. We are currently unable to consider quota increases beyond this level.
Undergraduate and other Postraduate Student and Staff U:Drive (for PC clusters) are restricted as follows:
- Students - 400 megabytes
- Staff - 200 megabytes
If you get close to using all your space you will see a warning message when you access your U: Drive. It may be possible to increase your allocation within strict limitations if you need more for your University work on your U: Drive (not Active Directory) – contact the IT Helpdesk for more information.