Our Reading Room is located in the Research Commons, Old Library.
Ronald Duncan Reading Room
Our Reading Room is located in the Research Commons, Old Library. Items ordered from Special Collections and the Bill Douglas Cinema Museum are consulted in the Reading Room.
Readers wishing to access material need to be aware of the following:
- Please contact us in advance if you wish to use material from our collections.
- Members of the University of Exeter should bring their University Library card.
- External users will be asked to register by completing the External Reader registration form, and bring photo ID, such as a driving licence or passport.
- You may use paper and pencil or your own laptop or tablet for taking notes. Pens are not allowed in the reading room
Archives and Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org 01392 722097
Bill Douglas Cinema Museum email@example.com 01392 724321
The Ronald Duncan Reading Room is open from 10 am – 5 pm Monday – Friday.
Please book items in advance by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Special Collections is closed during bank holidays and University closure periods (Christmas and New Year). Please enquire in advance for precise closure dates if you plan to visit during these times of year.
We welcome all enquiries and visits to Special Collections. To arrange a visit please read the information below and get in touch if you need any help or advice before you visit:
- Please contact us in advance of your visit so we can ensure the material you need is available.
- If you are currently a student or member of staff at Exeter you will need to bring your student card with you.
- If you are not a member of the University you will be asked to register by completing the External Reader registration form; please bring photo ID such as a driving licence, or passport.
- You may use paper and pencil or your own laptop or tablet for taking notes. Pens are not allowed in the reading room.
- Food and drink including bottled water is not allowed in the reading room.
- There are lockers available for personal belongings while you are using the reading room.All material held at Special Collections is for reference use only.
- Photocopies, photographs and scans can be ordered at the discretion of staff. Conservation and copyright considerations will be taken into account.
- Signing the Reading Room diary signifies full compliance with the Reading Room Regulations and Handling Guidelines.
Please request items in advance of your visit to Special Collections and the Bill Douglas Cinema Museum
Books and Journals
Requests for books and Journals can be emailed in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at the Reading Room during opening hours. If the items you are requesting are from the Bill Douglas Cinema Museum please email email@example.com. For rare and fragile material the Reading Room supervisor will advise on handling and care.
Archives, Manuscripts and Artefacts
Please provide as much advance notice of your intended visit as possible, at least 24 hours, with full details of your research needs and the items you wish to consult. You can check our catalogues for information on what we hold. All archives, manuscripts and artefacts have a unique reference number to identify them which you will need to quote. Data Protection restrictions and Freedom of Information exemptions also apply to some archive collections, meaning that access must be arranged well in advance of your visit.
The Reading Room is located in the Research Commons, Old Library. There is a campus map available here, the Old Library is building no. 7.
Directions to the University of Exeter by road and rail and a map of the Streatham Campus are available on the How to find us pages of the university website.
For information on parking please go to our website here.